Saturday, July 10, 2010

Shenandoah Valley Sprint Triathlon

750meter Swim 16.5mile Bike 3.1mile Run…CHECK!

I thought when I started this endeavor it would just be a good way to get back in shape after the baby. What I got was a really amazing experience all around. Here are a few things I gained from the experience that I did not expect and am so grateful for.

1. An amazing workout partner and friendship with an amazing woman! Thanks for everything Lauren, you are the best and I in no way could have or would have done this without you!

2. An incredibly supportive and loving husband. I’ve had this all along, it just became more and more clear to me as the weeks went on in my training. I repeatedly asked him to give up his workout mornings so that I could go swim, run, ect. He also encouraged my long Saturday workouts while he watched the kids. None of this compares to his willingness to drive out to the race with me and agree to take the kids camping while I went and stayed in a hotel. Even though he only got an hour of sleep and got totally drenched in the overnight downpour he never spoke one negative syllable about the weekend! I love you Phil and could never do or be anything that I am without you and your continual support!


3. I gained a much deeper appreciation for swimmers and bikers. I have enjoyed each of these sports in the past but this experience training for all three really got me rethinking why running is my sport of choice, I enjoyed both much more than I do running, if only I had a pool…or a bike!

4. This one weekend helped me understand a little better what it means to be a good friend. We had a few friends drive out to go camping with us and come to the race, it was so fun to have people there to support us. All of them got totally rained on the night before but everyone was still so supportive and positive about the experience!

5. I learned that road tires, and a road bike when possible, is a necessity in a road race!

6. With each race I do I gain a greater understanding of my abilities and what my body is truly capable of. About 2 minutes into the swim I thought I was done, but a few back strokes and a doggie paddles later I was able to finish and then go on to bike and run… crazy!

7. All in all I think I learned I really like triathlons and when I went into this I thought it was going to be one of those that you check off the list but I am pretty sure this is not my last Triathlon!

Next? A full triathlon, hmm maybe I will have to get a road bike!


There are a few more pics from the race here... if you notice in some of the bike pictures you can see the girl behind me walking! Yeah that's right and she wasn't the only one!! (you have to celebrate the small triumphs in life right!)

http://www.backprint.com/go.asp?76785426

We were able to get in a few s'mores just before the rain, thunder and lighting... got too bad! :)



Some of us like to "camp" in comfort!


Doesn't that just make you with you were still a kid!

Oh wait, maybe not so much! Yes that is her hair attached to the marshmallow roasting sick!

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

Wow! You're amazing Em! I'm glad you had such a great experience. Love you and can't wait to see you!

Melanie said...

What a fun time! I love biking too and actually have a bike but I'm a bit of a chicken when it comes to riding on busy streets so I don't use it as much as I'd like to. Those biking pics make you look super tough.

Anonymous said...

You are so incredible Em!

Tiffany said...

Congrats, Emily! That is an amazing accomplishment! I don't think I could ever do a tri cuz the swimming part would KILL me! You are amazing! :) And I'm so glad you enjoyed it and had a positive experience and want to do more! Can't wait to hear about them in the future... ;)